The Biogenic Refinery
- Parnter Name
- Biomass Controls
- Partner Type
- Commercial Partner
- Contact Info
- Jeff Hallowell (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Descriptive Overview
- The Biomass Controls Biogenic Refinery is a decentralized, small-scale pyrolysis omniprocessor (P-OP) system that processes human and other organic waste streams into valuable end products. It designed to meet the needs of the urban and peri-urban communities that lack safe sanitation treatment. It has been successfully treating solids at the Tide Technocrats fecal sludge treatment plants in India, and is available independently.
- Dimensions (meters)
- 2m x 2m (BR209 model), 2m x 3m (BR4018 model), 2m x 4m (BR8036)
- Other Waste Accepted
- Biosolids, other biomass
- Use Cases
- Standalone FSTP
- Collocation with STP
- Frontend Description
- Core technology requires 65% minimum total solids in the input stream. Additional dewatering and drying equipment can be added for input streams with lower total solids.
- Users per Day (Maximum)
- Type of Waste Treated
- Solids Processing
- Core Processing Technology
- Processing Overview
- Pyrolysis process that accomplishes 100% pathogen elimination. Leverages a combined heat, power, and biochar system (see patents).
- Processing Capacity
- From 108 dry kg/day up to 432 dry kg/day depending on the model
- Gas Processing
- Includes an integrated, combined catalytic converter and cyclone separator with novel safety and control features (see patents).
Power & Control
- Power Systems Overview
- Requires power supply, but needs less than 1kW of electricity.
- Energy Balance
- Provides excess heat for drying. BR209 model produces 25kW, BR4018 model produces 50 kW, BR8036 model produces 100 kW.
- Control System
- Uses multiple patented components: control system for the catalytic converter, fuel and air feed controller for the furnace, and an intelligent oxygen level controller for air emissions monitoring. System monitoring is available through the company's smartphone app, "Kelvin".
- Currently in Active Development
- Commercialization Status
- Ready To Purchase
- Commercialization Activities
- Installations have been completed in fecal sludge treatment plants in Warangal, Narsapur, and Wai, India. Units in Wai have been running successfully since 2018. The company also has an active presence in the USA (North Caroline, Alaska, Connecticut, New York) and in Durban, South Africa.
- Intellectual Property Status
- Patent Granted
- Intellectual Property Details
- Multiple patents received including intelligent controls and pollution control. Additional patents pending.
- Nutrient Reuse
- Produces pathogen-free “biochar,” a carbon-rich compound that can be safely used in horticulture to improve soil, and treated liquid effluent that can be used for gardening and landscaping.
- Solid Emission Characteristics
- Approximately 50kg biochar/day produced for a 15 KLD FSTP installation.
- Technology Development Milestones
- Commercial Test Sites
- TRL: 8 (2018)
- Initial test site with Tide Technocrats in Bengaluru, India, followed by three city-wide pilots in Wai, Warangal, and Narsapur.
|US10139166B2||Fuel Feed and Air Feed Controller for Biofuel-fired Furnace||Link|
|US9513005B2||Intelligent Oxygen Level Controller||Link|
|US9789440B2||Combined Catalytic Converter and Cyclone Separator||Link|
|US10001276B2||Safety Device for Catalytic Converter||Link|
|US9709267B2||Safety Device for Catalytic Converter||Link|
|US20150259603||Combined Heat, Power, and Biochar with Ventilator||Link|
|US8812162B2||Intelligently Controlled Catalytic Converter||Link|